Ngā Mema Rangatahi i Kōwhiria | Young Elected Members
Young Elected Members Committee | Te Komiti o ngā Mema Rangatahi i Kōwhiria
At the 2014 LGNZ AGM and Conference, an inaugural meeting of the Young Elected Members’ Network was held. Initial conversations were had about the possible membership, structure and function of a formally coordinated Young Elected Members network within LGNZ. Following this, the Young Elected Members Committee was formed and is now in operation.
The purpose of the Committee is to:
1. Provide advice to the LGNZ National Council, including its Governance and Strategy Advisory Group or staff on any matter that the National Council or the Committee deems relevant. This could include, but is not limited to:
- enhancing youth participation in local government processes;
- building strong relationships between councils, young people and youth organisations;
- practical matters likely to have specific implications for younger elected members, such as remuneration and professional development; and
- matters of LGNZ policy, and central government policy and legislation, on which young elected members share a view.
2. Coordinate opportunities for young elected members to:
- network and exchange ideas;
- peer mentor and access practical support; and
- access appropriate professional development.
To read more about the YEM Committee members click here.
To find out more information about the YEM Governance Development Programme click here.