The role of Te Maruata is:
- promoting increased representation of Māori as elected members of local government;
- enhancing Māori participation in local government processes;
- providing support for councils in building strong relationships with iwi, hapu and Māori groups; and
- providing Māori input on development of future policies or legislation relating to local government; and
- fostering and supporting a network of Māori elected members and staff of local government for the purpose of sharing information, challenges and aspirations relevant to kaupapa Māori.
To view the current members of Te Maruata Roopu Whakahaere click here.
To read about Council Māori engagement click here.