For all media enquiries relating to the local authority elections please contact:
This advisory outlines Local Government New Zealand’s process for providing information as voting in the 2016 local elections closes on Saturday.
Close of local authority elections
- Voting officially closes at midday on Saturday, 8 October.
- To ensure postal votes are received by the relevant councils in time they should be posted by the end of the day tomorrow, Wednesday 5 October.
- Papers can still be returned to councils directly until midday on Saturday – check with your local council for where they can be returned.
Reporting information available on Saturday and early next week
- For individual council results check the relevant council’s website, or visit www.electionz.com which has data for 41 councils.
- As with the 2013 election, LGNZ will be monitoring and recording preliminary turnout information as it comes in.
- This will include for individual councils, and turnout numbers for national, metro, regional and provincial results, and comparisons with the last two elections.
- Further information and analysis on voter turnout will be available next week.
- Find information at www.vote2016.co.nz.
LGNZ contacts on polling day
- Deputy Chief Executive Advocacy Helen Mexted, email@example.com or 029 924 1221.
- Communications Advisor Joe Dawson, firstname.lastname@example.org or 022 524 1217.
- Chief Executive Malcolm Alexander will be available for comment on Saturday – please call to arrange an interview.
See below for a record of our media releases to date on the local elections. Please feel free to use any of the information or comments in these releases in your reporting up to and after the elections.
Useful tools and guidelines
- Elections fact sheet - a summary of important information to bring you up to speed.
- Vote2016 campaign on a page - a summary of the campaign phases, audience, issues, dates and collateral.
- Journalists' guide to local government - to assist you in your coverage of local government.
- Candidate guide - a comprehensive guide we have prepared for those who are considering standing.
- Click here to view a list of schools participating in Kids Voting 2016.