The Community Board Best Practice Awards have a range of categories that reflect the diversity of the work community boards undertake. The categories below are for the 2019 Best Practice Awards.
The 2019 categories are:
The judges are looking for a Community Board which has exercised its leadership mandate to make a significant improvement to its community. This could involve:
- a successful advocacy campaign resulting in beneficial change;
- partnering with one or more agencies to improve local services; and
- utilising local papers or social media to successfully address a local issue.
The judges are looking for a project, programme or initiative which has been funded, commissioned and/or led by a Community Board which has enhanced the quality of life and/or environment of their community. This could a project that:
- contributed to harmonious relationships and stronger community networks;
- developed local or neighbourhood amenities; and
- strengthened local cultural identity.
The judges are looking for a project or initiative in which a Community Board has taken an innovative approach to consultation and engagement. This could involve:
- initiatives to promote community feedback on a consultation exercise such as an annual plan, long term plan, community plan or specific Community Board initiative;
- approaches for engaging with local organisations such as iwi, business and community organisations; and
- initiatives in which a Board has successfully increased the participation of groups within their communities that have traditionally been under-represented in local affairs, such as young people and new residents.
There will be a plenary session at Community Board Conference, prior to the conference dinner, where applicants have the opportunity to present their projects and initiatives to all attendees. There will be a vote taken at that time for people's choice to award the best presentation/project.
The judges will select an overall winner for the project or initiative that is the most innovative and resulted in the greatest community value. This supreme winner will be announced at Conference Dinner along with the other awards.