Local Government New Zealand is leading a Climate Change Project, focused on both adaptation and mitigation.
The outcomes sought from the Climate Change Project include:
- An evidence base to support a comprehensive framework for risk reduction and/or retreat;
- A comprehensive adaptation plan for New Zealand; and
- A local government view on emission reduction targets for New Zealand, and how to achieve these.
The various project deliverables are designed to:
- Support local decision making on climate change adaptation and improve legal frameworks for adaptation decision making;
- Improve understanding of the local impacts and likely costs of climate change and how local government and its communities can adapt to a changing climate; and
- Support councils to take action to mitigate the impacts of climate change, and encourage greater action by their communities on contributing to the reduction of greenhouse gas emissions.
To view the climate change project outline, click here.